It’s astounding to think that we only use 5% of our brains capacity consciously on a day to day basis. We have this incredible organ within our heads that is capable of so much. If we were to know everything that the brain can do we might have a hard time believing it.
The conscious mind is the 5% that we use to create action intentionally. The other 95% is our subconscious mind, that stores every memory, every sight, every sound that we have ever been witness to. Amazing huh?
A great way to think of it is when someone is first learning to drive a car. To begin with, the person has to concentrate all their efforts into steering, accelerating, braking, indicating and more. Until they are comfortable and driving becomes effortless, they are operating out of their conscious mind, then, when driving is an automatic response, they are operating from their subconscious mind.
Our subconscious mind is the container of all our beliefs and perceptions of the world. A belief is a thought that you have over and over again until it becomes rooted in our minds and accepted as truth. For example you might have the thought that you are fat. You may only be a few kilos over your normal weight range, but to you, well you only see fat. So, every time you look in the mirror, or look down at your stomach or legs, you think “Gosh I’m fat.” You continue to berate yourself in this way, telling it to yourself repeatedly until this becomes what we call in PSYCH-K, a ‘Limiting Belief.’ What was once a passing thought, has now been ingrained into your subconscious mind.
These negative subconscious beliefs can have many different side effects. Continuing with this common example, if you were to try to lose weight, the task might seem impossible because your subconscious doesn’t believe you are capable of it because it firmly believes the statement “I am fat.” Or you may lose weight and reach your target goal but because you haven’t released that limiting belief, you still identify with being fat, no matter how much weight you lose. Typically this is followed by putting all the weight you have just lost, back on again and then some more.
The same goes for positive beliefs, if we think a positive thought continually, for example “I am loveable” this then becomes our truth as the subconscious mind takes this on board and allows this to become our experience.
So why not just use positive affirmations? For some affirmations work like a charm while others feel that what they are saying is a complete falsehood. This is because the subconscious mind isn’t in agreement with the new statement. Most likely your new positive statement is the complete opposite of what you’ve been experiencing. As an example your positive affirmation might be “I am happy and healthy” while what you’re experiencing is depression and sickness. The subconscious mind can’t take the new belief on because it has conflicting beliefs already in place.
If you feel this is you, don’t worry! There are ways to counteract these limiting beliefs and old thought patterns.
With PSYCH-K we take away the emotional charge behind our old limiting beliefs, and use the processes that allow our subconscious mind to change to what is it we really do want. Your mind is like a computer and with PSYCH-K we are putting in new positive programming.
Peace, Love and Healing
PSYCH-K – Life Coaching – Personal Development – Albany, North Shore, Auckland
Hi! I’m Olivia Wilson and welcome to my blog! I am an Emotional Wellness Practitioner specializing in EFT Tapping, The Emotion Code and PSYCH-K. In this blog I share my insights on emotional health and healing. So take a look around and learn all the great ways that Reflection Coaching can help you thrive and live a healthy, happy life!